We’ve all been wondering where the Three Springs dimension has gone. It was placed on the PTS before the announcement of free2play then disappeared without a trace. It’s release is not imminent but is due eventually and to announce it’s pending arrival, Trion are running a competition to give away the Three Springs dimension and the dimension pack that goes with it.
Yes, you read that right. The dimension on each shard receiving the most weekly votes, between the 3rd of July and 12pm on the 9th of July, will win a free Three Springs dimension. The voting system for dimensions is not a popular one. For a start, dimensions in the top spot on each shard have an advantage over other dimensions, they receive more votes than other dimensions without advertisement, just by dint of being first. The system is also disliked because, people being people, the voting system is open to abuse with votes paid for in platinum. The voting system is disliked because of the requirement to advertise on chat channels, forums or other avenues, a task some dimensioneers seem reluctant to do or feel is unfair.
When it comes to ranking dimensions, Trion are between a rock and a hard place. There are only two ways to rank dimensions, by voting or judging. Judging requires a judge to determine which dimension is ‘best’ according to a set of defined rules. To judge every dimension on every shard is a huge investment of manpower that Trion does not have in this busy crossover to F2P time.
Voting, while unpopular, is a system that rewards effort. Not just the effort of building a dimension but advertising it and letting the world know of it’s existence. Part of being a successful artist is self promotion. History is full of brilliant artists who’s work is now forgotten because they could not self promote. Sadly, true beauty does not announce it’s presence or weave it’s way into our brains without help.
If you want to try for the Three Springs dimension prize, there are ways to maximise your votes.
- Advertise. Advertisements do not have to be constant, just consistent. Advertise your dimension in batches of three or four announcements, a few minutes apart then wait awhile. Don’t advertise on the same channel, vary it up. Announce on 1-29 chat as well as 60 chat.
- Write entertaining advertisements. Try puns and jokes (preferably related to your dimension) or vary your advertisements so people don’t get tired of them. Try describing your dimension so people know why they should visit.
- Entertain your guests. Try trivial pursuit or Simon says, give tours and point out the scenic destinations. Engaging your visitors with a fun activity adds value to their visit.
- Be honest. Let the shard know you’re in a competition and ask for their help. Let them know you’d like to win without having to use bribes. This could be a very effective tactic on shards where people are engaging in pay-to-vote tactics; everyone loves an honest underdog.
- Use the dimensionaddicts@deepwood or dimensionaddicts@icewatch channels to ask for visitors. Many of us will visit and vote if we can. Don’t forget to announce which cluster you’re on, since cross-shard invites are only cluster-wide now.
- When votes start trickling off, jump shards (if you don’t mind your toon relocating), preferably to another cluster, and repeat the above steps for a new set of votes. NOTE: this step is not likely to make you popular with dimensioneers on all shards, use at risk to your reputation.
Good luck in the competition.